Powerball winner served lawsuit alleging he stole ticket
A Californian man claimed. Record-breaking $2 billion Powerball lottery jackpot He may go to court to defend his victory last year.
Edwin Castro was served legal papers at his Hollywood Hills home this week, notifying him of a pending lawsuit, US Sun. Reported. gave SuitA complaint filed in Los Angeles County in February accuses Castro of stealing the winning ticket from a fellow California resident named Jose Rivera. In his suit, Rivera lists the California Lottery Commission and California resident Yurachi “Reggie” Romero as defendants.
Attorneys for Rivera — Brian Kramer and Estela Rachida — did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday. Castro’s attorney, David DePauli, also did not immediately respond to a request for comment confirming that his client had been served.
According to the lawsuit, Rivera purchased a Powerball ticket on Nov. 7, 2022, at Joe’s Service Center in Altadena, California. Around the same day, Rivera claims, the ticket was stolen from him by Romero. Rivera repeatedly demanded the ticket be returned to him, but Romero refused, according to the suit.
The lawsuit does not share details about how Castro obtained the winning ticket.
Castro’s Powerball win made national headlines last year as the jackpot reached billions of dollars. The jackpot was the largest lottery prize ever won, topping the Powerball record of $1.59 billion split between three winners in 2016.
Castro opted for the lump sum payment and received an astounding $997.6 million, lottery officials said. They Chose not to reveal himself. at a press conference.
A few months after the victory, Castro Bought a $25 million bachelor pad., CBS affiliate KCAL reported. The three-story mansion has five bedrooms, five baths, two powder rooms and includes a gym, cold plunge pool, wine cellar, movie theater and sauna.
Castro also bought property this year for less than $4 million in Altadena, not far from the store where the Powerball ticket was purchased, KCAL reported.
The California Lottery has said it believes. Castro is the rightful winner. of the Jackpot, releasing a statement in February that it scrutinizes anyone who steps forward to claim prize money and has “full confidence in its process for doing so.” The California Lottery Commission said the allegations Rivera made will be investigated by local law enforcement and not by a public agency.
Despite the confidence of the Lottery Commission, the case is moving forward. The next important hearing of the case will be held on July 24.