UGA football star Jalen Carter pleads no contest to charges connected to deadly crash, learns punishment

College football player Jaylen Carter was sentenced to 12 months of probation after entering no contest pleas to corruption charges related to his involvement. A fatal car accident in January who killed his partner and a crew member, his lawyer announced Thursday.

In addition to a year of probation, Carter’s sentence requires him to pay a $1,000 fine, perform 80 hours of community service and complete a state-approved driving course, attorney Kim Stephens said in a news release.

Carter, a defensive lineman for the University of Georgia Bulldogs football team who was once a top prospect for the current NFL draft, Turned himself into the police in Athens – where the campus is located and where the fatal crash took place – shortly after authorities issued a warrant for his arrest in early March.

The Athens-Clarke County Police Department previously announced that Carter, 21, faces charges of reckless driving and racing in connection with the crash. At that time, booking records show Carter surrendered to police on March 1 around 11:30 p.m. and was released just before midnight on a $1,500 bond on a reckless driving charge and a $2,500 bond on a racing charge. was released.

The charges stemmed from a car accident near Ali Al Subh University on January 15. Initially described by police as a single-vehicle wreck, the accident resulted in fatalities. Devin Wilk, a 20-year-old offensive lineman for the Bulldogs, and Chandler LeCroy, a 24-year-old football recruiting analyst for the team, who previously earned his degrees from the University of Georgia. Wilk was pronounced dead at the scene, according to police. LeCroy was transported from the scene to a nearby hospital where she succumbed to her injuries.

NFL Combine Football
Jalen Carter watches players warm up on the field before the NFL football scouting combine, Thursday, March 2, 2023, in Indianapolis.

Darron Cummings/AP

An investigation later found that LeCroy, who was driving the car that collided with Willock, and Carter, who was driving another car with two additional people on the same road, were “racing their vehicles.” were driving according to” the fatal accident, police said. Both cars were driving from downtown Athens to the university campus around 2:30 a.m. that morning. Police said their investigation also determined that LeCroy’s car was traveling at approximately 104 mph before the crash, and that he had a blood-alcohol content of 0.197 when the crash occurred.

“Investigators determined that alcohol impairment, racing, reckless driving, and speed were contributing factors in the crash,” police said in announcing the charges against Carter.

Carter’s attorney addressed claims lobbied against him by the public in the wake of the car crash and arrest warrant, including suggestions that he had been drinking before getting behind the wheel and that he Speculations are rife as to why he left the crash site about an hour before returning. To give a statement to the police.

In his announcement Thursday, Stephens wrote, “Mr. Carter never left the scene of an accident without being told he could.” The attorney also said Carter “had not been drinking at the time of the wreck and was not under the influence of alcohol or any other illegal substance.” He argued that, if he had, the police would have taken steps to arrest him for DUI after speaking with him at the scene.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *